Wednesday, August 1, 2012

STUFFED PEPPERS - ON THE GRILL

It's like summer on a plate

Ingredients:

If you prefer vegetarian, these are also delicious without the sausage

  • 2 C cooked long grain brown rice
  • 1 diced red onion
  • 1 diced clove garlic
  • 3-4 chopped medium mushrooms
  • 1 chopped red pepper
  • 1 diced jalepeno (or other spicy pepper)
  • 1 small cucumber
  • 1 avocado
  • 1 tomato
  • Chicken sausage (I used Open Nature brand from Von's)- they are good without sausage too
  • 4-6 peppers for stuffing 
  • Olive oil
  • Sea salt
  • Fresh ground black pepper
  • Balsamic vinegar
  • Aluminum Foil 

  1. Saute 3/4 of the red onion, garlic, mushroom, red pepper, sausage and jalapeno in a little olive oil.  
  2. Once ingredients soften, add in rice and stir together
  3. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and pepper (optional)
  4. Turn off burner and set aside
  5. Prepare your peppers for stuffing (remove tops and try to remove seeds)
  6. Use a small teaspoon to scoop rice mixture into peppers (stuff it down to tip if possible)
  7. Rub olive oil on outside of peppers, lightly
  8. Wrap peppers in aluminum foil (I did each individually)
  9. Place on pre-heated grill set at medium and cook 10 minutes.
  10. Prepare side salad with tomato, remaining onion, and cucumber
  11. Turn off grill and let them sit for another 5 (not sure this is necessary, but it's what I did :)
  12. Place peppers on plate with salad and sprinkle everything lightly with *balsamic vinegar
*I am a huge fan of quality balsamic vinegar.  I buy mine at the farmers market and it is $18 for a smallish bottle.  I never use my big Costco jug anymore.  My favorite is the Classic Balsamic from San Felipe Olive Company.  It makes a simple plate of tomatoes and avocados taste like a gourmet meal.


The little green thing on the plate is okra.  I'd never tried it before.  I cooked it the same way as the peppers (no stuffing though) and it was yummy - reminded me of tater-tots :)




No comments:

Post a Comment