Monday, January 30, 2012

WOMEN PLEASE THROW OUT YOUR SCALES


I used to weigh myself every morning.  After going to the bathroom and before I consumed even an ounce of liquid I would stand buck naked on the scale and let it tell me whether I was going to feel fat or skinny all day long.  I dictated my life by that scale.  Some days the number would be at the front of my mind and all my thoughts would revolve around it.  Other days, it would slip further back in my mind, but it was never far from my thoughts as I mentally calculated what I was eating and beat myself up about every single calorie and how I was going to have to face that damn scale again the next morning.

I have not done that for two years and to be honest, it still makes me sick with anxiety when I think about it.  CONSUMED!  I let my life be consumed with that number.  It was my worth, my confidence, how I decided whether to deprive or reward myself.  The worst part of all of it was that it is what I was taught.  EVERY magazine, every TV show, every adult woman in my life was focused on weight and the power and utter joy that you could attain by losing it.

I am grateful everyday that this is not my attitude anymore and it breaks my heart that it is still the way so many women view themselves and their bodies.  I want with all my heart (yes, really) for women to understand what being healthy means and feels like.  Healthy is eating food to fuel your body - good, quality, 100% real food.  Healthy is finding an activity you like that makes you work hard and sweat and doing it daily.  Healthy is throwing out your scale.  In reality, your healthy may be heavier than you are right now.  Mine was.  The cool think about healthy is that it has NOTHING to do with a number.   When you make healthy choices you feel better.  When you feel better you move and exercise more.  When you exercise more, you get stronger.  Your body will change it's composition.  You will replace fat with muscles.  YOU WILL FEEL GOOD.

The number on the scale is wrong - no matter what it is!  Your healthy will not be found in that number.  One more time - your health will not be found in the number on the scale - no matter what it is.

Redefine healthy people.  We have to get smarter.  Look around you.  Open your eyes.

Now...go throw out your scale. 






No comments:

Post a Comment